The name I answer to is Matt Hughes. I write fantasy and suspense fiction. To keep the two genres separate, I now use my full name, Matthew Hughes, for fantasy, and the shorter form for the crime stuff. I also write media tie-ins as Hugh Matthews.
A reminder: my Dying Earth
fantasy novel, A God in Chains (30
five-star reviews on Amazon!) is being offered as a 99-cent ebook through a
Bookbub promotion wherever ebooks are sold.
The promotion doesn’t apply to the US, but Amazon.com has price-matched
But the cheapie deal ends today, so get ‘em while they’re
With the pandemic coming on and countries shutting down, and
my wife and me in rural France, I booked tickets on a WestJet flight back to
Canada for March 24th, the earliest flight available. A few days later, I read on the CBC News site
that WJ had abruptly canceled all flights after midnight on March 22nd.
When I saw that, I asked my wife, whose credit card we had
used for the booking, to see about getting the money back. But the bank said WJ was contesting any
refund, saying their terms and conditions required them only to provide us with
vouchers on future WJ flights.
But the bank also confirmed that the airline had taken the
money only after the
WestJet took money for a flight that they knew was never going
to happen. I call that fraud.
Now I have received an emailed notice telling me that I have
“WestJet dollars” credited to my account, and I can use them for WJ flights any
time over the next two years.
It’s entirely possible I’ll do that, if I have to fly
somewhere, to recover sunk costs. But
once that credit is used up, I will never, ever, fly WestJet again.
I’m particularly proud of A God in Chains, (29 five-star Amazon reviews!), the Dying Earth fantasy novel that Edge Publishing released in July as a paperback and ebook.
I’ve been writing Raffalon and Baldemar short stories in that setting for years now and selling them to The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction and anthologies like Rogues, The Book of Swords, and The Book of Magic, but it was good to stretch a little and do a full-length novel.
Now, if you act quickly, you can snap up the ebook edition for less than a buck. The publisher, Edge, has arranged a Bookbub promotion in the UK, Australia, Canada, and India, with the novel selling for the equivalent of US$0.99 in each country’s currency from April 1 to 3. Amazon’s pricing algorithms being what they are, the price has already been lowered on all its platforms.
My wife and I are in the basement suite of a friend
on southern Vancouver Island, self-isolating and waiting to see if
we’ve got the bug. Chances are unlikely, since we were previously
isolated in a little French hamlet of three or four houses and only went
out for groceries. Traveling here, we might have been exposed during
the two plane flights and a taxi ride, but we’ve been hand-washing and
wiping down. So we’ll see.
If we are contaminated, and it’s a threat, we have access to world-class health-care at no charge. Plus, the friend who’s sheltering us is a doctor.
I’ll write up the full adventure of fleeing France – plenty of twists and turns – in the next episode of my autobiography-in-progress, One Damned Thing After Another. If you’re not seeing those, please fill in the form in the upper right corner of this page.
Soon, I’ll get back to work on Barbarians of the Beyond, the sequel to Jack Vance’s Demon Princes quintilogy. And we’ll spend the summer up in Prince George, as we have the last three years.
All shall be well (that’s a recurring line from Barbarians).
Today, my wife received an email from the French state
railroad system to tell her that our train to Charles de Gaulle airport on
Sunday had been “suppressed.”
Turns out that’s the same as “cancelled.”
So were the trains
for Saturday and Monday. France is deadly
serious about suppressing the Corona virus.
Apparently, only freight trains are moving from now on.
Fortunately, with the assistance of our French-speaking
host, we were able to rent a car for a one-way trip to the airport. Five hours, but at least you don’t have to
worry about the traffic. Apart from
trucks, there isn’t any.
So we’ll drive up Sunday, hoping that Air Canada’s
commitment to keep flying from Paris to Montreal endures until we board our
flight on Monday.