Feeling pretty skookum
So, on March 6, Gardner Dozois asked me if I could send him a 10,000-word Vancean piece about dueling wizards for his anthology, The Book of Magic because somebody had dropped out of the ToC.
On March 7, I started and on March 17 I sent in “The Friends of Masquelayne the Incomparable.” Today, Gardner accepted it, said he liked it very much.
Normally, I would say I’m dead chuffed (the language of my youth). But I think I’ll start saying, at times like this, that I’m feeling pretty skookum.
Back in the 1980s I was Vancouver’s first freelance speechwriting specialist. I made my bones by being the guy to call when somebody had dropped the ball in corporate communications and nobody had written the speech the CEO or Chairman of the Board was scheduled to give any day now. I would come in, get the info, and be back within twenty-four hours with a speech that did the job. On one occasion, my turnaround time was eight hours, and that included traveling downtown and back.
It’s nice to know I can still get it done.
Sign up for my Newsletter
the Archonate Bookstore
Latest at the Archonate:
Search the site
- Excerpt from ‘To Hell and Back: The Damned Busters’
- Excerpt from ‘The Other’
- Excerpt from ‘Black Brillion’
- Excerpt from ‘Fool Me Twice’
- Excerpt from ‘Fools Errant’
- Excerpt from ‘Hespira’
- Excerpt from ‘Majestrum’
- Excerpt from ‘The Spiral Labyrinth’
- Excerpt from ‘Template’
- Excerpt from ‘To Hell and Back: Costume Not Included’
- Excerpt from ‘To Hell and Back: Hell to Pay’
- Excerpt from ‘Old Growth’
- A Little Learning
- Excerpt from ‘The Yellow Cabochon’
- Excerpt from ‘Quartet and Triptych’
- Excerpt from ‘Downshift’
- Excerpt from ‘Epiphanies’
- Audiobook excerpt from ‘Downshift’
- Excerpt from ‘A Wizard’s Henchman’
- Excerpt from ‘Paroxysm’
- On Writing
- About the Author